6/18/23 - During CDA Meeting at VA Wesleyan University - Amy Lee demonstrates: Easy Line and Triaxial Blends with glazes. FREE - come check out a meeting and the CDA - can join the membership at that time as well.
7/2/23 noon to 3pm - Micro-Mishima with Amy Lee - Story-telling on clay. Where: Village Studio Arts - Warwick Shopping Center - 10864 Warwick Blvd. Newport News VA. (757) 528-2031 To signup: click here.
- Pottery Sampler Thursday Morning: All Level Hand Building and Throwing. May 19th - June 23rd, 2022 from 10am-1pm at All Hands Pottery. Get Tickets Here!
- Ceramic Decoration Techniques - Starts Sept 1, 2022 for 4 consecutive Thursday evenings from 6-9pm at All Hands Pottery Studio Classroom (just down the sidewalk from the main AHP clay studio). Tickets and Details Here! You will need to bring work with you to decorate and 2 open studio times are included in the class-fee to enable this. Tools and supplies provided and some available for purchase from instructor.
- Mother's Day May Flowers - May 8th (2-4p and/or 4-6p) - Spend Mother's Day Afternoon (Sunday May 8th, 2022) with Amy at All Hands Pottery sculpting flowers! From 2-4pm we will be sculpting giant poppies and from 4-6pm magnolias (separate tickets required to make both). Floral sculptures will be partially decorated and fired for pickup in 2-4 weeks after class. Get Mother's Day Floral Sculpting Tickets Here! (you will need two tickets, one for each of the two times on this date if you decide you'd like to sculpt both flowers on Mother's day)
- Three May Flowers - May 15th and/or May 29th from 1-4p. 3 sculpted flowers will be demonstrated at each class for participants to make. All will be partially glazed and then fired prior to pickup 2-4 weeks after the class. Two dates available - each require a separate ticket and we will be making different flowers at each class. Sunday May 15th from 1-4pm we will be making: a Daffodil, a Rose, and an Anemone. Sunday May 29th from 1-4pm we will be making: a Sunflower, a Plumeria, and a Water Lily. Tickets for either or both of these workshop dates are available Here! (Each date is a separate ticket and will include 3 flowers - Workshops held at All Hands Pottery)
Want to Book a Class or Workshop?
Email me to book a specialized class or workshop.
Amy loves teaching and sharing knowledge with other clay enthusiasts! With 30 years of experience, she is open to discuss your ideas! Amy specializes in printing-on-clay techniques, making underglaze transfers, glazes, glaze mixing and chemistry, and layering options for surface decorating. Other workshops ideas include: thematic projects for groups and parties, Floral Sculpting, Bird Sculpting, Ocarina and Clay Whistles (including tuning clay instruments), Udu Drums, Relief Tile Making and Molding, and Simple clay tile to Byzantine-Style Glass Tile Mosaics (see example tile projects here).
Example classes have included:
- All Levels Wheel Throwing - 6-8-week class developing your skills on the Potter's Wheel
- Pottery Sampler - 6-8 week class developing your skills at any level on the wheel as well as with hand-building techniques. Students with ideas can receive instructional help and guidance to improve the success of their projects or follow-along with example projects provided by the instructor.
- Throw it Till You Wreck It! - 4-6 week class where Amy will push your wheel-throwing skills to the next level! Great for Intermediate to Expert level potters. She will work with students to tailor a class to the shapes and desires for growth each student has. Each class begins with shape demonstrations with students following along to duplicate, wreck by pushing the clay to its limit in order to learn, and ultimately cutting our pieces in half to see how we did!
Example workshops have included:
- Ceramic Decoration Techniques: 6-week class including two weeks of making pottery followed by 4 weeks of decorating techniques. Use the wheel if comfortable or follow-along with some simple hand-building projects provided by the instructor. Weeks 3-4 will cover decorating methods like sgraffito, wax resist, and slip trailing. Weeks 5-6 will focus on glazing techniques. If time allows other techniques will be introduced such as: Mishima, Watercolor, Wax Layering, and Hand-painted Underglaze decals,... If students have specific decorating styles they want to learn we will work them into this class. Decorating materials needed will be provided for learning and more can be purchased via Studio hosting.
- Micro-Mishima - an exploration of this wonderful decorating technique to tell stories on clay.
- Ocarina's and Clay Whistles - learn to make several different styles of clay whistles including how to tune a multi-note ocarina.
- Floral Sculpting including giant poppies, magnolias, daffodils, roses, anemones, sunflowers, plumerias, water lily. Can be taught for sculpture abilities inspiration and improvement as well as to build flowers as stand-alone sculptures, to hang on he wall, or to be staked in the yard or garden.
- Special Events / Holiday Classes - thematic instructional classes that can be held at host location focused on making a simple single project. Great for those who have never tried clay and want to get their hands dirty or those who want to learn a particular project idea start to finish. Guided group similar to other creative step-by-step class lessons.
- On Location Demonstrations - Amy is available for wheel and hand-building technique demonstrations. Great as an entertainment option at creative festivals and events as well as group get-togethers. She has provided demonstrations that combine faith and clay in this category focused on Jeremiah 18:6.